Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello Monday! What's Your Word?


I struggled through the first day of this year trying to say goodbye to 2011. I held on tight as it put up a good fight. I was not ready to move forward. It’s just that I am a silly sentimental fool and I’ve never been comfortable when I am aware of time passing. When I was a child I remember agonizing over the end of summer when Dad would cover the pool for winter, knowing that another season of my youth had zipped by me. That’s how I felt yesterday while putting all of the Christmas decorations away, knowing when I see them again we will all have seen another year through. In 1982 I got sad knowing I wouldn’t be a kid forever, and it is only magnified a million times in 2012 when I know my boys won’t be kids forever. Yes, 2011 was that good of a year and I tried dragging out the final days as slow and sweet as possible. But now we are on day two of 2012 and I have a feeling if I face it with my usual “Happy Hour” attitude, I can make this year even sweeter.
So, before routine settles back into our daily lives and once again I forget to be melancholy about the ticking clock, I am preparing to make a few resolutions to ensure I am making the best of another great year. You see, I believe in these sorts of things…things that stop your life for a moment and make you evaluate if you’re giving it your best shot. I believe that every day can be a new start to the beginning of a new year, but the beginning of a new year is the perfect time to make a new start.
But how does she do this in addition to her crazy monkey schedule you ask? A few years back, a creative, crafty blogger named Ali Edwards started a trend of picking one word to represent your whole year. One word to help you set goals and make improvements. One little word to replace a long list of resolutions. This is my third year participating and I have chosen the word FOCUS.  I am aware that I get easily distracted from the things I want to accomplish, I let menial stuff get in the way of what’s important and I lose sight of the big picture or the simplest moment when I let life get out of focus.  
I will focus on the needs of my family and not short change them the time they deserve. I will focus on what’s important or useful in my home and get rid of everything else. I will focus on filling my mind with useful information, education and good advice and not allow the rest to fill my head. I will focus on reading and writing instead of aimless internet surfing. I will focus on the world outside my doors and enroll my boys in outdoor activity. I will focus on healthy eating for everyone in this house. I will focus on doing art, not just reading or talking about it, and then I will share it with the world. I will focus on being more mindful of my words and taking the time to listen to others first, before I have determined what to say next. This is the year where one little word inspires me to live a better life; where the ticking of the clock becomes a testament of time well spent.


FOCUS
“It is a process of diverting one's scattered forces into one powerful channel.” James Allen
So, how will you start 2012? How will you make it the best year ever? What’s your word?

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great word, and I hope the rest of January welcomes you with warm open arms and helps you feel good about the transition to 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. focus is my word too! and i could have written your post word for word...that's exactly why i chose the word too. yay for 2012!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved your one word resolution idea last year. this year i choose "prioritize" as my word... for many of the same reasons as your word, "focus." thanks for the reminder to pick a word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a nice big lino-cut with that word so I can frame it and put it next to my front door. K, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abundance...of everything except pain and misery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, I won't make new year resolutions unless it's something i'll actually do. I like this concept, it's an easy way to keep it with you through out the year and not just some hokey res that is easily forgotten/thrown out.
    I choose: BECOME
    Verb:

    1. Begin to be: "they became angry".
    2. Grow to be; turn into.
    For me, it's a year to grow and become something better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this concept. As I thought about your post, this is the word that I saw for me (although I have to say that FOCUS is absolutely fantastic). For 2012 the word is:
    ACHIEVE
    reach or attain (a desired objective, level, or result) by effort, skill, and/or courage.
    Summed it up pretty well. Some things I will achieve by my efforts, some by my skill, and others by courage that I currently possess or will have to acquire. It's the last one that will be the hardest. But I must "Focus" on the reality that I have nothing to loose, and everything to gain. =)

    ReplyDelete