Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Happy Hour: Desperately Seeking Motivation


Early morning view from my window.
I got jack diddly squat done this week. I might have made one good meal. I had a few good ideas, but they sat on the shelf while I played “Words with Friends”. There is a pile of pictures and frames on the dining room table that have been sitting patiently since Sunday waiting to be hung, just glad they are not locked away in a trunk anymore. Something smells in the kitchen and it’s probably the garbage. My kids are bored with nothing to do – homework I say! – but at last that’s done. I don’t think I got dressed before noon once. I guess you could say I have lost focus already.
 I wake up wanting to do something fabulous with my day. The sunrise spreads little rays of hope that I will really do something creative and new and special with my precious time. But before long time gets plucked away from me. The minutes are squandered and I am stuck somewhere between fear and the internet. I have all the resources at my finger tips but what if I step out on the wrong path? What if I finally get around to writing, but not one reads it? What if I make a cute bird print, but the idea for a four foot abstract would have been better? What if the laundry still needs to be switched over?
How easy it seems to get lost in our own desperate attempts to start something new. When I was a kid the future seemed overflowing with possibilities. I could be a dancer, a teacher, an artist, a veterinarian…there was an endless parade of choices before me. Nothing has changed except the time crunch and my mountain of dreams crushing me alive. So I put them all aside and focus on the job I usually know best - taking care of monkeys. It’s easier than climbing the mountain as these excuses keep rolling in one after the other.
I’ll do it one day, you’ll see. I’ll start painting or writing a novel or start a mass media frenzy…as soon as I sort through my closets and clean out my mind, put the Kindle down and stop postponing my future. You’ll see…if you keep following me…
Until then I owe one person a copy of the hand-carved lino print that I said I was doing, but have managed to procrastinate yet again. But hey, despite having no motivation what-so-ever, I am still having the best week ever. I still have the comfort of my home and my family to keep me happy!
Tell me how you have the motivation to keep going with your dreams? How do you find the MoJo to have the best week ever? (if you do I will add you to my list of recipients to receive my new print, which I absolutely promise I am going to get around to doing in just a very short little while from now...you'll see.)  


“Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”  -Albert Einstein






6 comments:

  1. I, and I know I'm not alone, would definitely read anything you write! I've told you before how inspiring I think your writing is! I love your style! Now, how do I keep motivated? Simply put, I don't! My walls are still bare because I can't decide what I want to hang...above the couch, in the hall, in my bedroom. The office still has the ugly floral border because I know if I take it down I'll have to paint. I still have those last few Christmas decorations sitting in the living room because I'm waiting for Hank to take them to the basement, even though ive gone down there just about every day! But, it's my house I'll do it when I get tired of looking at it, so dont expect anything to look different the next time you come up....which should be soon by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading your post I was thinking what a great writer you are. I don't know you, and I didn't know until I read further, that you have an interest in writing. So be encouraged that your writing is great. I love that it is real. Motivation may come from starting with something small, just for you. When you complete the item you will feel so great that you created something. Starting with something just for you can release the fear and pressure of wondering if people will like it. Then, you will have joy from the making, and you will see that indeed, you can make something people will love. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally 100% understand the feeling of being stuck between fear and a mountain of dreams. I also go back and forth between having enough mojo to stay motivated. The thing that got me out was trying something new. Totally rocked my crafty world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I have basically had the same week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may not have felt motivated this week, but trust me, you have motivated others. Your honesty is ALWAYS refreshing.
    There is a connection with your readers: family, friends, and soon-to-be friends, with our triumphs, our shortcomings, and dreams we have yet to fulfill. It is a heartfelt sharing in the human condition. A reminder that in our own obsessive little spaces, exists a bouquet of colorful kindred beings.
    And that, my dear niece, is what you have accomplished (again) this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuck between fear and the Internet... So true about so many people I know. I am more creative if I reduce my computer time. Not so much because it gives me my day back but it also stops me being overwhelmed by what everyone else is achieving. I need to stop looking and start doing from my heart.
    I totally agree about your writing style... I look forward to reading more of your creative journey.

    ReplyDelete