Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Happy Hour: Lighten Up Girl

“Yeah, you! What do you think you’re doing? Biting off more than you can chew? Going full steam ahead? Burning the midnight oil? Working harder, not smarter? Making something out of nothing? Putting in the hours of two full-time jobs and getting paid for none? Jumping on the bandwagon? Shooting for the stars and falling out of touch with reality?”
“Hey, I resent those accusations! Or I resemble them. Either way, get out of my head and let me do my thing. Why are you judging how I live my life and how I spend my time? I’m finally making progress on a few dreams I’ve been hanging on to, so who are you to tell me I can’t?” 
“It’s not that you can’t, it’s just that you better chill before you burn yourself out and give up. All work and no play is a recipe for disaster, even your family could tell you that. (In fact they might start telling you that they are hungry and the floors need cleaning, too, but that’s the price you’ll pay if you start cutting corners.) Maybe if you step back from the trees you will see the forest and the picture will become clear. And you could take a breath before you make yourself crazy.”
“I guess you’re right. I could use a break from my super charged brain right now; I can feel anxiety trying to slide in the back door and creep up on me. But what if I lose momentum and all my ideas escape me? They are coming by the dozens and I only have so much time to get it all done. The clock is ticking, the years are flying, and I don’t want to let the opportunity pass me by. There is so, so much to do if I’m going to make this work!”
“No, there is only so much to do if you keep adding to the list. It will all work out but you don’t have to rush it. Enjoy the process, enjoy your first job first, and enjoy each day and each moment before THAT passes you by. It’s only your own ambition (or overzealous drive) setting these ridged standards for yourself, so lighten up a little!”
Ms. Passion
“Ok, Logic, you are making sense, but can we compromise? Can I keep putting in the effort for the goals I currently have set, if I manage my time better and remember to have fun? I promise not to add anything new until I’ve crossed a few things off my list. AND I promise to put my first job first because I know that retirement will come sooner than later and I will wish it weren’t so! Can we agree?”



Ms. Logic
“Yes, Passion, we can agree. I wouldn’t want to take your dreams away from you when that has always been an integral part of who you are. And I know it’s important for you to see the progress and share it with others right now. Just do us both a favor and finish what you have on your plate before you take a second helping, ok? Now, get on with the weekend and have some fun before we’re all worn out!”







This has been the best week ever! I swear it was because all the right things are coming into place at the right time as long as I stay *focused* and keep Logic and Passion in check. This weekend is going to be the best ever because I have a list of all the fun things I’m going to be doing:
·         Watch the rest of the episodes of “The New Girl” with Zooey Deschanel. Serious laughs!
·         Go on a hot date. (Yes with my hot husband!)
·         Take the whole family to Taylor’s late night soccer game and out to Chick n’ Ruth’s for a monster size milkshake afterwards, ignoring bedtime altogether.
·         Go outside and draw En Plein Air for my Sketch 29 Project. This will be a first!
·         Read something that isn’t literature or current events or has anything to do with art. Fluff reading will certainly lighten my mind!
·         Make a good meal for the family that they haven’t eaten seventeen hundred times already.
·         Snuggle. Laugh. Breathe.
How about you? Have you had a conversation with yourself to see how you are doing? Has it been the best week ever?

5 comments:

  1. I think I would be a bit scared to have such a conversation TBH. Sounds like all is going well with you though.
    PS Thanks so much for the print. It is in a red Ikea frame waiting for hubby to put up a hook so I can hang it in our room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a handle on things so life doesn't get overwhelming! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I have a handle on things...but at least I am having a good conversation with myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a constant conversation as an artist. Keep up with your day to day progress and take the pressure off what the outcome is. All will come into play at the right time. Sounds like a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful, AND simply perfect =)

    ReplyDelete