Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Happy Hour: Boys

A few stinky ones at that.

Socks left in every corner.
Wrestling that inevitably ends in crying.
Hands reaching into the food for a taste, while dinner is still cooking.
Talking way too much about private things.
Procrastination and a hungry dog.

Temper tantrums.
Gross sounds and smells, on purpose, in confined spaces.  
An inability to tell that I am in the middle of a conversation and do not want to be interrupted.
Having to be told more than once.
Not playing fair.

Last minute projects.
Hands in the pants and up the nose (at the same time).
A battleground over nutritious meals that need to make it downs each little (loud) mouth.
Toilet seat up or down, doesn’t seem to matter, it’s everywhere.
Ear buds in, tuning out.

Name calling.
Boredom only a couple weeks after receiving all the Christmas spoils.
Long monologues about the progress made on a particular game (eyes glazing over.)
Playing instead of working on homework.
Late nights even with early bedtimes.

Shall I continue? Shall I tell you how I really feel? All at once overwhelmed, infuriated and glad to be a mother. I take no pity and prefer no advice. They’re wild animals after all, I just have to keep throwing treats at them to get their attention! But this is what I signed up for and without the stinky, rude, loud, unruly boys; I would not be Queen of the House, The Monkey Queen, The-Crazy-Lady-That-Makes-the-Meals-and-Brings-Clean-Laundry…or half the woman I am today.  And I love my boys! I’m laughing about it now, but after a week like this, I think I could really use happy hour out tonight!  And no matter what, it was still the best week ever.

10 comments:

  1. You have 3 beautiful boys Kellee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have boys, but my Aunt does and reading it reminded me of a typical phone call with her. So funny! Your boys are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look here, this has been the best rendition of what it's really like to be around boys! I know because my husband has 8 brothers. All adults now, there's no difference in them than in your boys. You have a lifelong commitment indeed!

    *hands you a beer*

    So where we going for girl's night out, Applebee's or Ale House? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha!! Too cute - both your journaling and those boys of yours ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're boys are adorable!! I love have boys too. Love being Queen of the castle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have three boys and there are definitely parallels here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have girls and they do most of those things, including the smelly ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have three monkeys too...7, 9, and 12. Between the tween angst and the emotional instability coming from (I hope) a growth spurt for the middle one, we have monkey drama on a nightly basis. ::shakes head::

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have three monkeys too...7, 9, and 12. Between the tween angst and the emotional instability coming from (I hope) a growth spurt for the middle one, we have monkey drama on a nightly basis. ::shakes head::

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have three monkeys too...7, 9, and 12. Between the tween angst and the emotional instability coming from (I hope) a growth spurt for the middle one, we have monkey drama on a nightly basis. ::shakes head::

    ReplyDelete