Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Happy Hour: Starts and Stops




It seems my creative life has been a continual cycle of starts and stops. Full of motivation and inspiration one week. Painting, drawing, writing and putting all I’ve got into it. Followed by two weeks of sitting on my ass watching sitcom reruns. Clear vision of what I want and the ability to act on it followed closely by a busy schedule that leaves me with little time or energy to pick up a brush. I haven’t mastered the fine balance of domestic goddess and professional artist. In fact the going and slowing is indicative that I am still stuck somewhere between hobbyist and the desire to go full blown O’Keefe. Is it fear or laziness or simply not knowing how to find the spark at the right time?
I have been ignoring my studio for the last few weeks. I’ve had the desire to (self) learn oil painting for over a year now and a little bit of anxiety creeps over me as I try to find the courage to follow my ideas through. Building the momentum to open a tube of oil paint and learn how to mix colors without making mud. But I took the plunge! After much debate and research over the toxicity I settled on water mixable oil paint to avoid using turpentine or mineral spirits. I have nothing to gauge the water soluble paint by so I can jump in without bias. And I think I love it…
This has been the best week ever because I stopped mindlessly surfing the internet and got something done! Here are a few other reasons this was the best week ever:
·         I went out with the girls for a spontaneous chips and margarita night.
·         Gavin rocked the goalie position in the most thrilling soccer game I have ever watched. You should have seen him dive for that ball!
·         Beautiful, perfect, sunny weather. We’ll be dining Al Fresco again tonight.
·         Summer plans are all scheduled. I think this is going be our busiest summer yet.
·         Did I mention that I finally broke out the oil paints? I even painted a little California coastal scene.
·         Date night is always my favorite night!
So, tell me, what has you starting and stopping and not fully committed to following your dreams yet? What will you do to take the plunge and make it your best week ever?
California Coast practice painting, oil on paper, Kellee Wynne Conrad

11 comments:

  1. Oh....it's breathtaking! I love painting with oils...I haven't for so long! So glad you took the plunge and starting painting with them! Can't wait to see what else you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank-you so much! It's exciting, but scarey, too. I'll keep going, though!

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous! You are an amazing artist - everything I've seen so far has been awesome! Keep going :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emalee! I still feel new at it and have a lot to learn!

      Delete
  3. Hey, you can't compare yourself to O'Keeffe: she married (more of a business deal than a love affair) a famous photographer and gallery owner who was the sole judge and jury of her first show at his gallery. Much of the time she lived in New Mexico, miles away from her (philandering) husband and without children or any distractions from her painting. You, on the other hand, have your hands full and you still manage to pick up a paint brush, or pastel. Just think what you will do when you can devote more time to your art! Watch out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm not comparing myself to her just yet! And Steiglitz thought it was a business deal - but she was in love and sorely disappointed. But, look, Taos is now the mecca for artists! I'll be painting when I can and then someday....

      Delete
  4. I am so excited you have got the oils out. The painting is great! Where are you going to hang it? I love the way you are following your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I miss oil painting. I took classes when I was 14. All I recall is I used to run out of raw umber quite a bit and was always surprised the color white was the most lasting color.

    I think the thing that stops me from following my dream is my day job. I get paid more than I could ever make just writing, and I have bills to pay and a daughter to put through college!

    Maybe writing can be my 2nd career, who knows?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've stopped my dream to read about how others do it and piddle with little things like my bio. But it's know that the graphic designer starts work Monday and says she's usually done in 10 days that will get me in gear, that and my DH and YOUR new work my other constant inspiration.

    ReplyDelete