Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Feed Them Breakfast

I don't think I need to extol the virtues of breakfast. I won't repeat what you have heard a million times, but it's true. Not just for them, but for you! So, instead of regurgitating the facts I will just give you a week's worth of very good choices that take only 15 minutes or can be prepped the night before so you can't make anymore excuses for yourself or your family!

DAY ONE: Whole grain French Toast, topped with mango, plain greek yogurt and real maple syrup. Kids might prefer vanilla yogurt, but the contrast of the plain with sweet fuit and maple syrup is what makes this one yummy! What other fruit is in season? Strawberries, peaches, pears...it's your call!

Mango topped Whole Wheat French Bread


DAY TWO: Whole Grain Oatmeal Banana Bread. My kids are picky about whole grains and substitutions, but they love this bread. Make a couple loaves the night before and you have a couple days worth of breakfast. We like to toast a slice and top with cream cheese. You could make these modifications for pumpkin bread or zuchini bread.

Here is my recipe conversion of the classic Banana Bread:

5 ripe bananas
2/3 c. Greek Yogurt
2 eggs
3/4 c. demera sugar
1/4 c. honey
2 c. flour (King Arthur's whole wheat white flour)
1 c. oat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbs. baking powder

Mix bananas, yogurt, eggs, sugar and honey. Add all the dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour into two greased bread pans. Optional - sprinkle top with dry oats and demera sugar. Bake in a 350 F oven for 50-55 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool completely before slicing. Keeps well if wrapped and at room temperature.


Low Fat Oatmeal Banana Bread

DAY THREE: Home cooked "McMuffin" Come on, you haven't thought of this? Scramble some eggs, top with real cheddar cheese and add a slice of (natural, nitrate free) ham to your English Muffin! You could use a whole grain muffin, or a sweet cinnamon raisin bagel, or toast, etc...top with turkey bacon or turkey sausage to keep it light but change it up every once in awhile. This breakfast is a great one to make and take - or as I like to do, send with my husband to work so he eats something besides Pop Tarts!
Homemade "McMuffin"

DAY FOUR: Oatmeal. It's loved in our house. But I never make instant. Buy the 5 minute cooking oatmeal, following the portion size you need to fit your family (then add an extra serving or two because you will come back for more) and then throw in the good stuff while it's cooking. In this version I made Apple Raisin Oatmeal. Added cinnamon and vanilla, too. I topped mine with pumpkin and sesame seeds. Other versions we have gobbled up at our home would be Purple Monster Oatmeal - blueberries that burst when cooking make the whole dish purple! Mango Maddness Oatmeal. Peaches and Cream Oatmeal. The trick to healthy natural oatmeal is to throw the fruit and spices in about three minute before it is done cooking. The fruit naturally sweetens the oatmeal but still retains it's texture this way. If you still like your oatmeal sweeter add a little honey or demera sugar, but taste it first to see how much you will need. This stuff really is good on it's own!

Disappearing Apple Oatmeal

DAY FIVE: Breakfast Burritos. Or Tacos. I love mine on these corn tortillas made by La Tortilla Factory. But how, you ask, do I have time to saute all those veggies? At night when I am prepping dinner, say I am making fajitas or an Indian dish, I make lots of extra onions, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes and any other vegetable and put them aside for later. The next morning I can scramble my eggs and add already cooked veggies (the type and the amount each person likes) right to the eggs. Top with cheese or salsa and wrap up in a tortilla. Skip the tortilla and go for extra veggies if you want to stick to your diet!

Breakfast Burrito

See how easy and yummy that is? If you get up fifteen minutes earlier, then everyone can leave the door well fed! Take these ideas and go with it. Mix it up, add something else and tell me what you did. Make it yours, but just make it!

6 comments:

  1. We are big breakfast eaters here! But I get tired of fixing the same old thing some days.
    So these are some great suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome! love these breakfast choices…definitely going on my must make list. I'm off to the grocery store this morning…so I'm glad I stopped by:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, we are so coming to your house for breakfast! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!! This is the kind of stuff we like to do at our house too—however I think your twists to them are perfect! I LOVE the mango french-toast idea. We are SO doing that when my mangos are no longer green. Thank you for sharing that life can be full of delicious, nutritious, delightful food <3
    More ideas please— Super YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, I don't even like breakfast and I want to come and eat what you're making. Everything looks delicious! I need to bookmark this and try these recipies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! What time should I be there this morning!!

    ReplyDelete