Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sweat and Tears

SUNDAY CONFESSIONAL

 


I have something to say about my run today. I’m not going to bore you with the details of finding proper running shoes or how cheeseburgers do not make good fuel for lead thighs. But today I tackled the hill. I surprised myself. I’m doing it! I’m actually doing something good for my body and getting stronger as I go. I looked at the top of the hill and realized only a month ago I would have been sitting on my butt instead. And then I just kept going up that hill. I felt stronger.  I felt inspired. I felt happy. I thought about my sister and her accomplishment of losing a lot of weight and becoming athletic. She was running, and it encouraged me to run. It felt good to be doing something for me, and even better as it dawned on me that I was doing this for my boys. For the people I love. And then I began sobbing.
Someone close to my family was diagnosed with lung cancer this week and my heart was breaking. I was angry and sad for obvious reasons. I could not help but cry out at the top of the hill, gasping for a breath; not because it was difficult to run, but because it was difficult to accept that the action of NOT running (eating well, drinking less, quitting smoking, wearing sunscreen, etc.) would certainly result in pain and suffering somewhere in the timeline of life. At the very moment I was finding strength do the right thing with this one fragile and resilient body I’ve been given, I was also fully aware of what happens when you choose not to do just that. Either right now, or later down that road of life, we all answer to the decisions we have made on how to handle the flesh and blood we inhabit.
What is your answer? How are you making that choice every day? Are you going to wait until it is too late? Today is the day. If you have time for television and Facebook and Xbox, then you have time to get up and make your heart pump that oxygen rich blood. You can put down the high fructose corn syrup drink and pour a glass of water instead. You can ask a doctor to help you quit smoking or find the right nutrition plan to lose weight. YOU CAN. It’s not easy, but taken in small steps anything can be accomplished, including the way you treat your body. I have a long way to go. I know I can make better choices even now. But I am taking the first step. Will you take the first step?
RESPECT YOUR BODY. RESPECT YOUR LIFE. RESPECT THIS ONE CHANCE TO DO IT RIGHT!
because I can only handle so much sweat and tears on my own, you have to do the rest....

5 comments:

  1. I'll take that first step with you. :) Thank you for a beautiful and thought-provoking post. :)

    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. That moment of realizing what you are truly capable of is a gift. I know the feeling of frustration when you realize that you could have been doing it all along, and the people that you love could be doing it too. I sobbed like a small child at the end of my first 1/2 marathon as the weight of the occasion sank in. I love you sis, we'll do that marathon together that we always said we would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so inspiring! you go girl!! *hugs*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Kellee! Every single bite that goes into my mouth is analyzed...so much that it stresses me out a tad, ha ha!!! I am in survival mode as I sure as hell don't like what my oncologist told me my life expectancy was. I am not accepting that-not for a second. I can't believe the way people treat themselves and the garbage that the food industry puts on shelves. They really should be ashamed of themselves but all in the name of money...grrrr! Keep running Kellee, I know I sure am!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracie, I have been thinking about you since last year? When you said something on SC about having cancer. I have looked to see how you are doing, but couldn't find any external links to a blog or email. I am so glad you have posted here. I would love for you to email me your address, even if the Canadian post is on strike. Speaking honestly here warms my heart at the same time it breaks, knowing the struggle you face. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete