Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sketch 29: A Daily Creative Project


As I whittle away my time on the world wide web waiting for inspiration to strike, I realize it never will as long as I have a mouse in my hand instead of a pencil. If I’ve heard it a dozen times, I’ve heard it a million: I must practice, practice, practice if I truly want to be a _____ (insert here: writer, artist, musician, photographer, dancer, etc.)  I know you are nodding your head in agreement.  If you have just begun in your creative journey, are in the throes of it, have been ignoring the nagging desire or are just returning to your dreams after a hiatus, then now is the time to rise to the challenge!
I’ve done enough planning, dreaming, thinking, and talking about it, but today I start doing! I have given myself a new challenge: for the next 29 days of this February Leap Year I promise to sketch every single day. I will doodle, draw, color, work out my ideas and put pictures on paper. And then I will share them with you daily on my public Facebook Page and weekly on my blog. I hope you will follow along as I push myself one step closer to my goals. Even better, join in the fun and challenge yourself too! And tell me about it because I’d love to know if I’ve inspired someone to take the next step in their creative journey.
So, are you with me? 29 days to a more creative life. 29 days closer to your goals. 29 days of skill building. 29 days. every. single. day. And you know you’ll be glad you did! Now turn off this screen and pick up a notebook, we have work to do!

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome challenge, Kelly! I would love to play along with you, good luck on your creative journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea will get you and me and hopefully some of your others followers to get serious about creating new work. Isn't this what separates us from the rest of the animal world? As a writer, I've heard of many similar challenges: write 1000 words a day, write a novel in 90 days, write SOMETHING every day, etc. So, I'm taking the challenge for February. Let's all trust one another and share our creations. There is one guy who made a skull every day for a year (really, there's a book you can buy of his skulls). He got so creative: he used ALL kinds of materials (even spaghetti). So, let's take Kellee at her word: we expect to see something NEW every day (or 7 things once a week). Ready, set, go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm in! We start drawing in class tonight and I'll just keep going every day. Maybe by the end of the day I'll choose something that I'll do every day (like the skull) only a frog or something. Same thing everyday. I'm totally excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, where should I leave my writing? One page single spaced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelly, You should check out www.leapyearproject.org sometime. Perhaps you could attempt a project this year that could change your life, community, or your world for the better and then share the story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been terrific. Gave me that little motivation I needed to write when my energy hit bottom this week.

    ReplyDelete