Thursday, February 4, 2010

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow...

I wish I could say that I have been good about keeping my life in Belgium updated and blogged. I wish I had told more stories. Waiting for inspiration to strike and the story to be told sometimes means no story at all. But in my heart I know this is not true. Everyday there is a story to tell; no trip to Paris or fancy French meal, or holiday to celebrate is necessary because it is in the small moments of life that we are really living.

Sure, we've traveled around Europe. Had big summer parties in our yard. Taken feild trips to see the Mona Lisa. Bought Dutch paintings at Flea Markets. Made several trips to local hospitals. Celebrated a Belgian Wedding until all hours of the night. Driven across the border of France just to buy cast iron cookware. Played "football" with kids of every nationality. Been carried up hundreds of steps to the Sacre Cour asleep in a stroller. Flown in an airplane, ridden on a train, cruised in a car, and even toured the city in a little boat. I can not forget that we have sprinkled our time in Europe with an adventure here and there.

But the best stories come from everyday life. I have raised my boys here and fallen in love all over again with my husband. We have learned how to be a family no matter where we are or what we are doing. Most days we are right here at home. Together. And the simple life we live is where we find the most joy. This is what I treasure most as we now say good-bye to life in Belgium and head home. This is what I hope to take home with us. There is no worldly adventure that can replace the relationships we build with our family and the best part of our time away is the bond we've built.

So, even though we didn't make it to Venice, London and Prague...we created the best story of all...a happy family. And now, it's time to go...

9 comments:

  1. Yours is the perfect story. Perfect and beautiful with a happy ending. The family is together, putting up with each other everyday in the harmony that is your lives. I love you my Conrads, with Croissant or with bagel in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a safe trip back to the state. really nice photos of your family. cute cute dog =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post and a lovely sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are so right. The big things do matter, but not quite as much as the little things (which actually end up being the big things don't they?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beautiful pics, and the beautiful story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the beautiful pics, and the beautiful story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a beautiful post - enjoy the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. Have a safe trip xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck on all the changes on your horizon. cute family! I am a bit partial to red-headed babies:)

    ReplyDelete